United Methodist Church History
On April 23, 1968, The United Methodist Church was created when Bishop Reuben H. Mueller, representing The Evangelical United Brethren Church, and Bishop Lloyd C. Wicke of The Methodist Church joined hands at the constituting General Conference in Dallas, Texas. With the words, "Lord of the Church, we are united in Thee, in Thy Church and now in The United Methodist Church," the new denomination was given birth by two churches that had distinguished histories and influential ministries in various parts of the world.
Theological traditions steeped in the Protestant Reformation and Wesleyanism, similar ecclesiastical structures, and relationships that dated back almost two hundred years facilitated the union. In the Evangelical United Brethren heritage, for example, Philip William Otterbein, the principal founder of the United Brethren in Christ, assisted in the ordination of Francis Asbury to the superintendency of American Methodist work. Jacob Albright, through whose religious experience and leadership the Evangelical Association was begun, was nurtured in a Methodist class meeting following his conversion
*Taken from umc.org*
Armona Church History
The Armona United Methodist Church had its beginnings in early 1910. Articles of incorporation were filed April 14, 1910, in the name of the Armona Methodist Episcopal Church. A gift of land was received by the newly formed church from the Mark Bassett family. The church built on site was one of the earliest public buildings completely wired for electricity in the community.
The Rev. C.C. Lewis. then serving Grangeville Church, took the Armona group through the organizational period, and the Rev. Harry Branton became the first pastor for the 43 charter members.
The church has experienced periods of decline and renewal in its 100 years. A period of decline in the late 1920s sparked renewed interest as the community faced the prospect of losing the cherished landmark building. C.H. Poole is given substantial credit for fanning the spark into a renewed vigor. Old-timers also credited Mr. & Mrs. Asa Elmore and Mrs. Mary E. Hickman for persevering though the discouraging period.
Again there were lean times in the earl 1950s, with another renewal in the late 1950s and early 1960s. The new growth came during the time C.C. VanLeer served as pastor. Membership rose to 145, when during the 50th birthday celebration, ground was broken for a new Social Hall with numerous upgrades over the years, with the newest upgrade being the new wood-style floor, installed in 2014. A new parsonage had just been built in 1955. These buildings are still in use. The Social Hall has had a new roof and the ceiling was retextured and both the Parsonage and Social Hall are now air conditioned.
The interior walls were changed from wallpaper to plasterboard. The Choir and chancel rails were renovated during the first 75 years. The belfry was part of the original building and the bell was installed a few years later and can still be heard every Sunday morning. During the summer of 1985, the entire building was lifted up to allow a concrete foundation to be poured underneath. The original redwood sills that held up the church for the first 75 years were in remarkably good shape, but the building was settling and warping. At this time a wheelchair ramp was put in along with new porches. In the late 80s, one of the members of the church designed and made the stained glass windows that are now in the Sanctuary. The large window in the front of the church is a beautiful picture of the ascension of Jesus for all who pass by to see. The inside of the church has been plastered and painted. A new rug was installed. New Altar Rails, Kneelers, Altar, Pulpit and Lecturn were made by a member of the church in 2003 with funds given thought the Memorial Fund. Many thanks to the Art Albrecht Family and Adam Bates Family for their gifts to the church.